Can't run RAR binary

hi list:

I was trying to use RAR to unzip an .rar file on Debian / iBook G3.

After downloading RAR and going through "./configure" >> "make" >>
"make install", RAR was in /usr/local/bin, but neither rar nor unrar
are executable. The error msg is:

bash: /usr/local/bin/rar: cannot execute binary file

(Same with unrar.)

I tried to search for answer and someone was suggesting this might
indicate that the binaries are corrupted. I'm wondering whether the
version of RAR for Linux on its website
(http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm) is for i386 structure but not
PPC? Is there anyway that I can handle .rar files in Debian on iBook?

Thanks in advance for any pointer,

best,

Lawrence