any other way around pmac_zilog problem? WAS: Bug#364637: I see, change in 8250.c between 2.6.15 and 2.6.16
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cc: email@example.com
- Subject: any other way around pmac_zilog problem? WAS: Bug#364637: I see, change in 8250.c between 2.6.15 and 2.6.16
- From: "Toni L. Harbaugh-Blackford [Contr]" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 10:52:34 -0400
- Message-id: <Pine.SGI.email@example.com>
- Reply-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- In-reply-to: <20060518135111.GB31715@powerlinux.fr>
- References: <Pine.SGI.email@example.com> <20060427122555.GA21432@powerlinux.fr> <Pine.SGI.firstname.lastname@example.org> <20060427131520.GC23605@powerlinux.fr> <Pine.SGI.email@example.com> <20060427135313.GA25919@powerlinux.fr> <Pine.SGI.firstname.lastname@example.org> <20060427191132.GC8062@powerlinux.fr> <20060427171634.GA29035@cynthia.pants.nu> <Pine.SGI.email@example.com> <20060518135111.GB31715@powerlinux.fr>
The conflict between pmac_zilog and the 8250/16550 driver still exists in the
latest daily images. Is there any other way around the issue besides patching
the source for 8250.c?
Is there a way to change the order in which the kernel attempts the drivers,
to have pmac_zilog go before 8250.c?
I can't really fix this myself, because I can't get a working debian installation
to do it on. Anyone have a workaround?
On Thu, 18 May 2006, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 08:37:24AM -0400, Toni L. Harbaugh-Blackford [Contr] wrote:
> > On Thu, 27 Apr 2006, Brad Boyer wrote:
> > > On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 09:11:32PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > > > > What is supposed to happen after 'Trying to im_free...' ?
> > > >
> > > > Attaching the full log. The isa stuff is probably related to the graphic card.
> > > >
> > >
> > > > Serial: 8250/16550 driver $Revision: 1.90 $ 4 ports, IRQ sharing disabled
> > > > pmac_zilog: 0.6 (Benjamin Herrenschmidt <firstname.lastname@example.org>)
> > > > pmac_zilog: Error registering serial device, disabling pmac_zilog.
> > > > pmac_zilog: Did another serial driver already claim the minors?
> > > > Trying to im_free nonexistent area (d00008008216c000)
> > > > Trying to im_free nonexistent area (d00008008216e000)
> > >
> > > Here is the problem. The 8250/16550 driver used to have a check to make
> > > it bail out on all PowerMac models. It used to print out a message to
> > > that fact, too. The pmac_zilog driver is dying a miserable death because
> > > it thinks it should be the only serial driver, but in this case it isn't.
> > >
> > > Brad Boyer
> > > email@example.com
> > >
> > I see. Comparing drivers/serial/8250.c between the debian kernel source
> > packages for testing (2.6.15-8) and unstable (2.6.16-12) shows a number
> > of missing ifdefs. But are these differences because changes which need
> > to be continued were just not applied to 2.6.16, or did someone feel
> > that these ifdefs were no longer needed and removed them?
> Indeed, that was the patch. It is disabled, probablybecause it doesn't apply
> anymore, and needs redoing.
> Sven Luther
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-powerpc-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Toni Harbaugh-Blackford email@example.com
Advanced Biomedical Computing Center (ABCC)
National Cancer Institute
Contractor - SAIC/Frederick