Re: cross compiling Mozilla for Power PC

On Tue, 2006-06-06 at 16:18 +0200, Michael Schmitz wrote:
>  You seem intent on doing it the interesting way, though.

Isn't the interesting way of doing things usually the most fun?   I
mean, anybody can just do something, but it takes a really skillful
person to do things the interesting way... and succeed!

The problem, as I see it, with doing things the uninteresting way, is
that you get bored mighty quick.   The optimum process to pursue, is one
that will ultimately get the job done while simultaneously warding off
boredom and attracting a multitude of naysayers.   After all, no task or
success offers more satisfaction than one that, in the view of the many,
appears impossible.

Prima facie, as I've come to learn, is very seldom prima facie.
There's always more there than meets the eye, and revellers in the
implausibility of success are rarely in their stride when the true
nature of the beast is apparent to the myriad doubting Thomases.  True
success is rarely achieved through the tried and true, but, instead, is
a process of strange and exotic pursuits into uncharted waters.  And so
it is with the open source movement as a whole.

I sincerely doubt that there are many in the commercial world that do
not look upon free and open software as an "interesting" development and
and a seemingly "insane" way of doing things.   And, although free
software has hit some strides and met many a milestone in its
development and appeal, there is much further to go before open software
like Linux fully gains the acceptance it needs to be taken seriously.
Such is the challenge of doing things the interesting way.   And the
satisfaction of succeeding in such a sphere, I'm sure is unparalleled in
any commercial software endeavour.