Re: powerpc daily sid_d-i CD builds working again

On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 12:04:05PM +0200, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-05-15 at 08:39 +0100, Colin Watson wrote:

> > > Are you going to activate the G-I daily build, too?
> >
> > Belatedly, yes, I'd already done so:
> >
> >   http://people.debian.org/~cjwatson/d-i/powerpc-gtk/
>
> The installer boots fine (requires a patched yaboot to boot via tftp
> because of initrd.gz size). But then, when initialising graphical
> installer, it says:
>
> Framebuffer not available, disabling graphical frontend.
>
> This message is cycling.
>
> I'm testing on a powerbook g3 lombard

What framebuffer is used ? atyfb probably ?

I believe that this one is builtin in the kernel, it used to be at least. Can
you check that ?

Basically, there is two possibilities of it failing :

  1) the framebuffer device is not builtin, and cannot be found as module.

  2) the graphical frontend doesn't know how to deal with builtin framebuffer
  devices.

What strikes me at odd though, is that if you are having output, then you
already have a framebuffer device, and thus there is a problem around 2).
MAybe it tries to loade vesafb, or something such.

Friendly,

Sven Luther