Re: no mic on ibook g4

On 5/5/06, Magnus Rosenbaum <cmr_lists@forestfactory.de> wrote:
Bin Zhang wrote:
> Which application you use for mic ?

First I started alsamixer and switched "Input So" to "Mic" and turned up
the volume for "Monitor". Now I can hear it in the speakers if I knock on
the mic.

Same for me.

Then I recorded some seconds with arecord and checked them with aplay.

Same for me. But audacity doesn't work.

Thanks for your help.
But this is not a good solution. I could record using audacity when
turning OFF the volume for "Monitor" (I don't remember with which
If you turn on volume for "Monitor", you may get much noise.

Please note that I run Gentoo Linux and I have this alsa version:

I don't think this make a difference for using mic.

ibookx ~ # alsactl -v
alsactl version 1.0.10

ibookx ~ # lsmod | grep snd
snd_pcm_oss            47008  0
snd_mixer_oss          19552  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_powermac           47004  0
snd_pcm                92932  2 snd_pcm_oss,snd_powermac
snd_timer              23044  1 snd_pcm
snd                    60948  5
soundcore               8676  1 snd
snd_page_alloc          8776  1 snd_pcm

cu, Magnum

Carl Magnus Rosenbaum M.A.                          Tel: 089 - 700 666 26
Administration - Programmierung - Weiterbildung     Fax: 089 - 700 666 86
http://cmr.forestfactory.de/                      Mobil: 0163 - 700 666 2
PGP Fingerprint: DEBC 3C99 EF1D 74F0 D4C7 EFF5 C268 3690 0EA1 7641