Re: no keyborad with xorg on Pismo/unstable

On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 11:02:30PM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> > (fr_new comes from http://www.linux-france.org/macintosh/clavier_v4.html)
> >
> > All attempts I made to change this setting leads to a non working
> > keyboad in Gnome. Currently I'm writing from Xfe where I get a keyboard
> > working, though without any accentuated chars. I don't get the pipe
> > neither :/
> >
> > Anyone already experienced an xorg switch on an old pwb with adb kbd ?
>
> Etienne (CC'd) has a working french keymap for X.org

I had the same problem on my spanish keyboard. Actually all keys work
except the alphabetic ones, which is only about a quarter of the keys on
my 108 key Apple Pro keyboard, but letters are somewhat important :-)

One possible solution is that in /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/xfree86,
the line:

 $mac           $macvendorlayouts       = pc(pc105)+macintosh_vndr/%l%(v)

should actually insert +macintosh_vndr/us(extended) before the last
item.

Another solution is to make the country specific files include some
latin map (latin4 for Spain as done for the PC maps, I don't know
for France). In macintosh_vndr/es it is explictly stated that it
only describes the differences between american and spanish keyboards.

And even that is wrong, it actually is a latin-american keyboard
(latam for Debian, la for X.org AFAIR since la is now laotian in
Debian). European spanish keyboards are completely different when
it comes to punctuation and non-alphabetic symbols.

This said, there are so many differences between Xorg and Debian
source packages when it comes to keyboard description that I don't
really know where to report these bugs.

	Regards,
	Gabriel