Re: Sound on iMac (/dev/dsp not found)

At Fri, 28 Apr 2006 21:09:42 +0100, Jon Linnell wrote:

> Whenever I try to do anything involving sound (CD playing, Movies
> etc.) a dialogue box comes up saying something like 'Device /dev/dsp
> not found'.  any ideas?

You are using alsa, but do not have oss emulation ?
('device /dev/dsp not found' indicates an application that wants to
play sound using the oss sound drivers)

Alsa oss emulation:
Kernel option  SND_PCM_OSS
Kernel module  snd-pcm-oss

Does this help?

Or either sound is not working in anyway... but then you'll need to
give more information before someone can help you.  What kind of
machine?  Output from "cat /proc/asound/cards"?  You do have alsa
modules loaded? etc.

 ruben