Re: How to get the latest git sources

On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 08:22:01AM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:

> The result of git clone/pull contains the complete development history
> since Linus moved from bk to git. It's the equivalent of a CVS
> repository (as opposed to a CVS checkout). The fact that the latest
> version is checked out of the local git repository by default is just a
> convenient side effect. ;) For a little drool, try
>
> gitk --all

Nice ... didn't know about it: I just tried the search engine of that
tool (its 'find' box) and it seems it can't do easily a search, except
than a very simple one, neither in the kernel files themselves, nor anywhere else:
Could you convince it to manage that?

E.g.:

If I try to search the (kernel?) files - for that I selected "Files"
from the drop-down menu on the right-hand side of the gui - it gives
me an error like

"Couldn't find diffs for
{[ .. very
long mix of letters and numbers]}

Yes I know I can grep the tree manually from the command line, but
actually I'd prefer to believe that I simply missed something when
using gitk for that ... :)

Even a simple search like '2006-04-22' (without the quotes) does not
yield anything. Searching for 2006 does.

Do I expect too much?

Or are there any special search operators, or clicks, that I should
know about?

Thanks in anticipation

Best Regards
Wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Pfeiffer: /ICQ: 286585973/ + + +  /AIM: crashinglinux/
http://profiles.yahoo.com/wolfgangpfeiffer

Key ID: E3037113
http://keyserver.mine.nu/pks/lookup?search=0xE3037113&fingerprint=on