Re: How to get the latest git sources

On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 23:17 +0200, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 06:02:07PM +0200, ruben wrote:
> >
> > Once you have that, how do you get for example 2.6.16 out of it?  I
> > assume you can get all previous 2.6 versions this way, right?
>
> No. I would guess that's not possible. Actually I would rather see it
> as a waste of resources, because if someone needs an older 2.6 version
> he or she might easily get that by going to
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/
>
> The git tree, if I understand the HOWTO at
> http://linux.yyz.us/git-howto.html
> correctly, looks more like a kernel-factory or working-place for those
> writing the sources. I.e. the dev branch of the kernel. The fact users
> can download these sources might be intended (for testing the files,
> etc. ...) but in that environment, provided i got its purpose
> correctly, it makes no sense at all to offer old sources ...
>
> And, if I may digress, the fact I can pull only the latest sources
> with git makes it easy to me to update my current local source
> directory: I don't have to care for the correct sources version to
> download or update, because there is only one ... :) If you prefer
> things being simple like I do, an extremely convenient option ... :)

The result of git clone/pull contains the complete development history
since Linus moved from bk to git. It's the equivalent of a CVS
repository (as opposed to a CVS checkout). The fact that the latest
version is checked out of the local git repository by default is just a
convenient side effect. ;) For a little drool, try

gitk --all