Re: vlc

I have no problems with watching dvds via vlc on my pismo (they're choppy
though, but they just are and I have to cope with it).

> libdvdread: Attempting to use device /dev/hda14 mounted on / for CSS
authentication
> libdvdread: Could not open input: Permission denied
> libdvdread: Can't open /dev/hda14 for reading
> libdvdread: Device /dev/hda14 inaccessible, CSS authentication not
available.
> libdvdnav: Can't read name block. Probably not a DVD-ROM device.

Uh... are you trying to play from a hdd partition? And a mounted one? What
is your dvd device? Link your dvd drive to /dev/dvd by:

ln -s /dev/hd[x] /dev/dvd

(from root account). And I see you're trying to do it from a user account.
Make sure the user has access to what he's trying to read. Do:

ls -l /dev/hd[x]

where [x] is your right (as in right or wrong, not right or left ;) dvd
device. /dev/hda is first channel(primary) master drive, hdb is primary
slave, hdc is secondary master, etc... The command will show you to which
group this device belongs to, like:

[owczi@scarface ~]$ ls -l /dev/hdc
brw-rw----  1 root disk 22, 0 2004-08-10 21:29 /dev/hdc

So you would have to add your user to the disk group. Check the groups you
belong to, like:

[owczi@scarface ~]$ groups
users adm disk wheel ttyS proc audio video cdwrite console

And then add your user to the group by editing /etc/group (from root
account), or by:

usermod -G [comma-separated list of your current groups],disk caleb

(also as root). Can you record cds/dvds on that drive?

hope that helps,
owczi

And I'm sorry if I was explaining things like to a kid, but I just do it
this way to avoid doubts.