Re: Monitor never suspends on G4 Mac Mini with Sony Flat Panel

On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 10:20:20PM -0700, Shyamal Prasad wrote:
> Hi folks,

> I have a very straight forward Debian etch installation on a G4 Mac
> Mini.
Same thing I have.

> One issue with X (xorg) is that the monitor (a Sony flat panel, SDM
> S204) never seems to go into the sleep state. The screen seems to
> blank and all, but the monitor continues to run at full power.
Same monitor, too.

> If I issue an 'xset dpms force standby' (or sleep etc.) the screen
> blanks, but the monitor continues to run at full power. 'xset q' shows
> DPMS being on.
xset dpms etc... works for me, i.e. the monitor goes to low power mode.

> Under Mac OS X I do not have this issue, the monitor goes into a low
> power state when the screen blanks.
No macosx in my box...

> >From xorg.conf, some relevant bits:
> Section "Monitor"
>         Identifier      "SDM-S204"
>         Option          "DPMS"
>         HorizSync       28-75
>         VertRefresh     57-63
> EndSection
> Section "Screen"
>         Identifier      "Default Screen"
>         Device          "ATI Technologies, Inc. RV280 [Radeon 9200]"
>         Monitor         "SDM-S204"
Same lines here.

> The only other data point I have is this: I used to have this monitor
> hooked up to a dual G5 tower and I had the same problem when running
> Linux. So perhaps it is the monitor. Both systems were running a
> 2.6.16-1-powerpc[64] kernel.
Custom-compiled linux-, but have had no problems regarding this
issue with several other 2.6.x linuxes, either debian and custom.

> Any ideas on how to fix this?
Do you use DVI or plain vga cable?

I have another box (an intel with a radeon 9250) connected to the same
monitor, through the vga port. Once I select that input (vga), I cannot
off manually the monitor (hard switch), because it freezes!

I'll supply you with any cfg files you may want to examine. Just ask.

> Best regards,
> Shyamal
Have fun,

Pancho Horrillo