Re: XEN...if ever?

On Apr 12, 2006, at 10:35 AM, Sven Luther wrote:

On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 09:34:42PM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 10:02 +0200, Gabriel Paubert wrote:
On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 02:22:40PM +1000, Aaron Kerr wrote:
I really some of this porting effort produces something that is G4
friendly.

First avoid posting in Hideous Trash Makeup Language, thanks.

Second, there is no hope of making Xen work on the existing
G4. The hypervisor support is equivalent to a third privilege
level in the processor. The G4 only has two privilege levels,
and I can't think of an efficient way of emulating a third
level (you'd have to run the OS in user mode).

Well... MOL does it pretty well :) It's more difficult but technically
possible
without too much performance loss.

Still, it is currently impossible to run a linux 2.6 kernel on top of MOL.

If I understand things correctly:
- Xen isn't yet available for powerpc and some think it'll never be.
- MOL won't run 2.6, _and_ I couldn't find any explicit mention of it supporting 10.4, to say nothing of 10.5

It all seems a bit overconstrained.

FWIW,  I did find Xensource's 05-Dec-05 press release which states:
[...]a port of Xen to IBM’s Power PC architecture by IBM is close to completion, signaling broad cross-platform adoption of Xen.

So one can hope :-)