Re: Qemu and GCC-3.4 on powerpc

Tach auch!

Am Mo, den 10 April 2006, schrieb Gabriel Paubert:
> On Sun, Apr 09, 2006 at 02:45:04PM +0200, Dieter Schuster wrote:

> > I had now more time, to investigate the error. It seems to be a
> > optimization problem. With -O2 -fno-gcse the error disappeared. I have
> > made a bug report to gcc.
>
> Yes, but you sent it to gnats-gcc, which is completely obsolete. You
> should use bugzilla. Now the testcase looks really minimal:

I use gccbug and thought it knows how to report a bug. Should I report
it again to bugzilla?

> http://lists.debian.org/debian-gcc/2006/04/msg00135.html
>
> even if the code looks strange (redundant cast, if without
> braces which confused me at first). This may be the result
> of normal macro expansion.

Yes, it is a macro expansion, it is extracted from qemu, where the
error appeared.

> However, I believe that the most serious problem is that you
> use uninitialized local variables (which makes the code invalid).

Yes, but the code should also compile with the uninitialized local
variables, so I does not care about it.

> Testing here with recent Debian versions of gcc-3.4, 4.0 and 4.1
> show that I can' trigger any problem with 4.0 and 4.1, and that

Same here. With 3.3 there is any problem, too. It seems it is a bug
just in 3.4.

> for gcc-3.4:
> - -O1 always works (regardless of -fgcse), which is surprising
>   since I have exactly the same compiler as you.

The new test case works for me with -O1, too. The old one not.

> - -O2 -fno-gcse works
> - -O2 (implies -fgcse) fails

The same here.

Greetings,

	Dieter Schuster

--
GnuPG Key-ID: 1024D/5EE6EF26, bitte verschlüsselte E-Post; keine HTML-Post.

Keine Logik-/Softwarepatente. Pas de Brevets Logique/Logiciels.
No Logic/Software Patents.