Re: SMART issues (Was: Lost interrupt, page allocation failure, and kernel oops)

Hi everybody,

In the meantime, I have found the culprit for the problem: it
was indeed a hardware problem and the IDE connector cable (the
one between the harddrive and the IDE card) seems to be
defect. After replacing it, everything works fine!

I first thought, it was the RAM but this does not seem to
be the case as I can compile the Linux kernel fine, and this
repeatedly, etc.

I am very glad to have fixed the problem and would like to
thank you, the readers and in particular, Michael Schmitz,
Rick Thomas, and Ken Moffat, very much for their help. I
would not have been able to fix it alone.

And I learned to look at error messages more carefully: the
SMART error message about ICRC error (**interface** CRC
error) actually told me where to search for the error, but
it took some time till I understood.

Thanks,
Kaspar