Re: 2.6.16 kernel build errors

Eddy PetriXor wrote:
> On 3/29/06, Adam Done <emlists@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I have been reading on the list of those who can't boot from their
>>2.6.16 kernel but I have not seen anyone else who are having build
>>issues such as I.  I have been trying and trying with many dif
>>configurations and still come up with the same results.  It looks like
>>they are related to the errors other have been having with booting and
>>sound issues.  For my errors, they occur in the build process right
>>after sound modules.
>>
>><snip>
>>INSTALL sound/core/oss/snd-mixer-oss.ko
>

> This is Debian, have you tried make-kpkg?

Yes.

This is what I have been using over the years...

1.      make-kpkg clean   #if a previous compile has been done

2.      make xconfig
3.      select kernel modules

4.      make-kpkg --append-to-version [kernel version] kernel_image
or	make-kpkg --append-to-version [kernel version] -rev Custom.1 kernel_image

5.      make-kpkg modules_image --append-to-version [kernel version]
or	make-kpkg modules_image --append-to-version [kernel version] -rev Custom.1

6.      cd ..
7.      dpkg -i kernel-image-[...]
or 	Install kernel on destination box

I have had a kernel in the past which would not finish building which ended up the same way and I just had to touch a file which the make process was not doing and it finished compiling but this time I tried that and the kernel did not even boot past yaboot in the initial screen showing the kernel name and before the actual kernel booting up.

This is what I have done.

# make-kpkg --append-to-version .ppc-pb1 -rev Custom.1 kernel_image
or
# make-kpkg --append-to-version .ppc-pb1 kernel_image

This is using the vanilla kernel from kernel.org and using 'make oldconfig' from my last working kernel.  I have even downloaded the kernel config from http://www.ppckernel.org/specialized.php and preformed a 'make oldconfig' from the powerbook config and I still get the same issue.  Sadly, they all return the same results.

The only conclusion I can come up with is that something is amiss in the vanilla kernel that is not agreeing with me.

If there is a specific place to download the newest PPC kernel tree I don't know of yet?

I have a standard box I compile all my Debian kernels which is a 800Hz G4 running Ubuntu and then the kernels are distributed out from there.

-Adam