Re: Sarge installer for Mac Performa 6400/180 with 16MB RAM?

On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 12:28:55PM +0000, Clive Menzies wrote:
> On (17/03/06 09:37), Nelson Castillo wrote:
> > A user said she will bring a Macintosh Performa 6400/180 with
> > 16MB RAM [1] to the installfest[2].
> >
> > Will the sarge installer work with only 16 MB of RAM?

No.

> > I would like to know whether I can manage to install sarge
> > there.

No, you should install woody and upgrade.

> > I'm a little confused with this list of minimum recommended
> > requirements [3]:
> >
> >  Install Type     RAM                   Hard Drive
> >  No desktop      24 megabytes     450 megabyte
> >
> > Because it says:
> >
> >  Depending on your needs, you might manage with less than some
> >  of the recommended hardware listed in the table below. However,
> >  most users risk being frustrated if they ignore these suggestions.
> >
> > So my question is:
> >
> > If I don't run services (perhaps a liteweight web server):
> >
> >   Could I manage to install Debian sarge in this mac with only 16 MB of RAM?

Don't confuse the requirement of the installer with the requirement of
the installed system. The installer requires 24 MB, the installed
system requires less.

> I seem to recall that sarge needs a minimum of 32Mb; you will also need
> to use BootX because the machine is 'oldworld'.

No need for BootX (and with 16 MB RAM, the HD is probably small too,
so avoiding BooX seems preferable). My recommendation is boot floppies
from woody and boot the installed system with quik. Thats how I
installed on my Performa 5400 with 24 MB RAM.

--
Hans Ekbrand (http://sociologi.cjb.net) <hans@sociologi.cjb.net>
GnuPG key: 1024D/7050614E