Recompile Kernal

Hey all,

  I just installed my first debian distro on my first PPC platform. It's
a PowerComputing PowerBase 180.

  I recompiled a kernel the other night, and modified quik.conf to allow
me to boot it.
But, when I did I received an error about the file format not being
valid:

/boot/vmlinux-test: unknown image format

So, After it booted, I compared:

vmlinux-2.6.8-powerpc: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, PowerPC or cisco 4500,
version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, not stripped
lanfear:/boot# file vmlinux-test
vmlinux-test: executable (RISC System/6000 V3.1) or obj module not
stripped

Since this is the first thing I've installed, I thought I would try and
compile a generic executable:

./a.out: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, PowerPC or cisco 4500, version 1
(SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.2.0, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not
stripped

So, for some reason the kernel I compiled did not compile the correct
executable type.
What do I have to do adjust that?

Thanks!

Jason