Re: X kills my powerbook

On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 20:50 -0500, David Nusinow wrote:

> > > I've fixed a lot of those problems in X.org CVS, I don't know if distro
> > > picked them up yet, though you'll need 7.0 to run the fixed radeon
> > > driver.
> >
> > This is not yet fixed in debian though, so right now we don't have a working X
> > in those cases.
> >
> > Dear X team, could you maybe comment on when this fix will be added to the
> > modular X tree, at least in the experimental version ? I would rather it be
> > backported to 6.9 asap, since i am not sure that 7.0 is installable fully
> > right now, but i may be wrong.
>
> I'm beginning to think that it's better to just do a snapshot of the radeon
> driver from HEAD. Ben's done a ton of fixes and I want to make sure I get
> them all. Plus, if the 7.1 timeline is to be believed, we'll be getting
> something similar as a real release soon enough. Thoughts from people more
> involved with upstream than me?

I'd basically agree, except that current driver HEADs will drag in EXA
from xserver HEAD, at least. And if you pull EXA from xserver HEAD,
you'll have to pull HEAD for all drivers that support EXA... The only
consolation I can offer for this is that these incompatible EXA changes
have been made precisely to avoid further incompatible changes in the
future.