Re: Status of miBoot in Debian?

On Mar 6, 2006, at 3:34 AM, Sven Luther wrote:

On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 03:27:40AM -0800, Daniel Gimpelevich wrote:
Ok. But like said, thanks to Piotr, we have a reverse engineered spec
of the
boot block, and can do a clean-room reimplementation.

The spec of the boot-block structure has always been publicly
available. The boot-block code is quite another matter, and it does not
exist in a vacuum. It cannot be described outside of the context in
which the Mac OS ROM code calls (or doesn't call) it, which must also
be reverse-engineered.

Ok, let me rephrase this. The structure is documented, and cause no copyright problems. We have a reverse engineered spec of the actual code blob, which we
can thus reimplement.

[snip]

ok. Maybe you can compliment the info found in Piotr's work then.

URL?

We have no problem with rsrce.

I have not looked at rsrce's source yet, but somehow I doubt it fully
implements the data-moving algorithms that would be necessary to
accomplish what it claims to do.

As long as we can boot a linux kernel from a floppy, i am happyt.

I still dream of a floppy-initiated netboot for OldWorld...

:) I guess if the kernel included the network driver and nfs-root support, it
should be ok.

Yes, that's one avenue, but not a true netboot until the kernel and initrd can be received over TFTP. Would require kexec support.

problems with the last binary I built from Etsushi Kato's sources
could
be catalogued...

Could you provide me with this build, i will try to build some sample
floppies
with it and 2.6.15 kernel, and propose them for our users to test.

wget http://homepage.mac.com/danielg4/System.bin
hcopy -m System.bin :

You will also need to create a configuration file, preferably named
miboot.conf, with a layout similar to lilo.conf, but more restricted.

mmm, i will add testing this on my TODO list. Not before a week or two
though.

As for the config file, we right now do :

       dd if=/dev/zero of=$@ bs=1024 count=$(FLOPPY_SIZE)
       hformat -l $(DISK_LABEL) $@
       echo device $(TEMP_BOOT).new > $(TEMP)/miboot.conf
       echo kernel $(TEMP_KERNEL).gz $(KERNEL_CMDL) >>
$(TEMP)/miboot.conf
       miboot -c $(TEMP)/miboot.conf

with miboot doing the proper magic, and the miboot packages contains :

/usr/share/miboot/System.rsrc
/usr/share/miboot/hfs-bootblock.b

So, i should replace the System.rsrc by your System.bin in some way ?

Your current "miboot" shell script bends over backwards to install the
file from a dump of its resource fork. I could supply the binary in
such a format, but this way, it could be installed with a simple "hcopy
-m" command as shown above. The "miboot" shell script would not be
used.

What about the configuration file, of which the kernel options are the most
important ones ?

Like I said, it will take its own configuration file unrelated to yours, but with the same name, with a layout similar to a lilo.conf file.