Kernel Question (Johannes Berg?)

I have a PowerBook G4 1.67GHz with an ATi Radeon 9700 video card. (I have
noticed that Johannes Berg has the same system that's why I thought he might
be the best to answer the question.)

Which kernel version (according to experience) should I best be using? I'm
currently using the 2.6.8-powerpc version that installed with the sarge base
installation.

1- Is there any information online about how to get a better compatible
kernel and compile it if necessary to upgrade my current kernel?
2- Will this affect the aptitude upgrade process? I mean, if I'm successful,
how can I prevent aptitude from overwriting my kernel?
3- Is there a way to fully back up my system (including the MacOS X
partition and all) so that I can just re-dump it all again onto the laptop
in case this procedure fails somehow?

Thank you,
Sammy