Re: Debian Installer - boot floppies

Sven Luther wrote:
On Sun, Feb 26, 2006 at 08:00:34AM -0800, Brad Boyer wrote:

On Sun, Feb 26, 2006 at 02:55:10PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:

On Sat, Feb 25, 2006 at 11:38:55PM +0800, Tomasz Grzegurzko wrote:

I've been trying to coax the floppy images from
http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/images/daily/powerpc/floppy/
(where daily = 25/2/2006) to boot on a 7200/75 I've picked up. The system boots of the disks fine, which many of the earlier revisions of the images do not (the ones pointed to by the debian documentation only contain seemingly empty disk images, weird). Other times, I've inserted the boot disk and after loading it up the screen blanks and will not switch back on. However, my issue with the daily set from above is the floppy module. It seems that the module "floppy" will not load either from the installer or via a modprobe.

# depmod -a
# modprobe floppy
FATAL: Error inserting floppy (/lib/modules/2.6.15-1-powerpc-miboot/kernel/drivers/block/floppy.ko): Device or resource busy
# dmesg | tail
register_blkdev: cannot get major 2 for fd

Ok, we need to investigate this, i am at fosdem, where i picked up a prep box
and another oldworld, and will be back home only wednesday and probably not
have time until next WE, but i will definitively try a run of those.

This problem seems pretty simple. The driver floppy.ko is for normal PC
style floppy controllers. Apple never did use such a beast in a Mac. The
swim3 driver should handle the floppy drives for all PCI Macs that have
internal floppy drives. You might check to see if it is already loaded,
since the floppy.ko driver said that something else was already using
block major 2.

so, this would be a d-i bug which tries to load the floppy.ko on oldworld
pmacs, right ?

Need to look into this nextly.

Friendly,

Sven Luther

No, it would seem this module is unneeded if it is for PC floppy drives and the kernel image from the boot disk already has loaded the floppy - its the entry under /dev/floppy/0 that is missing. The d-i tries to load this module as it cannot "just mount" the floppy with the device node missing, so it thinks it needs to run a modprobe, which still will not help and only give this error message that led me astray. First, the root disk needs to be fixed...

Tomasz