Re: debian-PPC powerbook laptop support.

On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 11:29 -0600, David Smoot wrote:
> What (if anything) do I give up by blowing out Mac OS X entirely and
> going to Debian-PPC on my powerbook?
> Airport?

nope.

> Sleep / power management?

nope.

> Bluetooth?

nope.

> External Monitor support?

a bit maybe, TV out doesn't work and I don't see linux doing two
different things on the different displays and setup is a bit strange
sometimes.

> I have a 1.67GHz powerbook 15" with 1 gig ram purchased in April of
> last year.

Got the same machine, purchased a month earlier maybe :)

> If this were a desktop I would not hesitate to take the plunge.  But
> battery life / sleep / suspend and all those laptop issues matter to
> me.  What (if any) compromises would I be forced into if I go full
> Linux?

Battery life is decent under linux, the bcm43xx driver needs power
management (meaning I have to reverse engineer it).

> Anybody been down this path and care to share their wisdom?

I've been using osx only in MOL and really infrequently and am happy
with debian on my powerbook. More technical information is on my
homepage http://johannes.sipsolutions.net/PowerBook

johannes