Re: G3 imac, networking, 2.6.12 kernel

On Feb 15, 2006, at 3:00 PM, Brad Boyer wrote:

On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 10:30:14AM -0500, Rich Johnson wrote:
I've poked around a bit and it seems that this is a common problem
with G3 macs where the devices are not visible to the pci bus.

And the answer is....  "bmac".  This problem has been around since at
least 2.6.7.

FWIW, the installation still fails with linux-image-2.6-15-1-powerpc
as neither hotplug nor udev can probe this particular machine.
I plan on filing a bug against  linux-image-2.6.15-1-powerpc, along
with the script below for consideration as part of the postinst
process.  Is that the ''correct'' package to post against?

I would think the correct fix would be to update hotplug and friends
to know about macio. There was a patch floating around to do just that.

I agree and wish it would happen. But that patch has been floating around for 6-8 months. How much longer should folks wait?

Given that hotplug/udev is _new_ functionality with 2.6; whereas 2.4's _existing_ network functionality is _broken_ by upgrading the kernel; it seems to me that a workaround is in order until the h/w probe is patched (if ever). Whatever workaround is untilmately ''accepted'' by the maintainer doesn't need to modify /etc/modules directly. At the very least it should inform the (potentially naive) installer of known fixes to known problems so they can get up and running pronto.

I also get the sense that since the affected machines are at least 5 years old, that as time passes, there'll be less and less incentive to propagate the patch.