Re: hi and first and hopefully last question

Hi,

On  12 Feb, this message from Andrzej Mendel echoed through cyberspace:
> On Thu, 2006-02-09 at 18:05 +0100, Daniel Payno wrote:
>> I plan to install linux but:
>> 	* Ubuntu/PPC 5.10's Live/Install kernels don't support my Superdrive
> Impossible, both Ubuntu 5.10 and Debian Sarge supports DVD writers, if
> there's any problem, it is related to the IDE controller.

Exactly that is the problem. The PCI IDs were changed on the most recent
PowerBooks, and that makes older kernels not recognize the IDE
controller. Which is a problem not only for the DVD drive, but for the
hard disk as well (though you have not yet experienced that, failing to
get by earlier stages.

Same goes for the Ethernet controller, by the way, and I think Firewire
also (but that one is even less useful during install).

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |