Re: Horrible performance with X.org 6.9 (Radeon 9200)

On Mon, Jan 30, 2006 at 09:42:10PM +0100, Andrzej Mendel wrote:
> Dnia 30-01-2006, pon o godzinie 10:44 +0100, Michel D??nzer napisa??(a):
> > On Sun, 2006-01-29 at 21:30 +0100, Andrzej Mendel wrote:
> > > I have upgraded to X.org 6.9 some time ago, and I'm experiencing a huge
> > > performance hit, compared to 6.8.2. It's not that bad (although
> > > noticeable) with XAA, but after I switched to EXA to get rid of this
> > > root window bug (the one that has been reported here several times) X
> > > became really sluggish and unresponsive. There are also some artifacts
> > > on the screen when I'm scrolling e.g. Nautilus or Firefox and get a
> > > notification from Gajim, or such.
> > >

> > Does not enabling backing store help?
> >
> Disabling backing store seems to help a little bit as I didn't notice
> any more artifacts, but the performance hit is still huge.
> One thing I noticed recently, 6.9 with both XAA and EXA is slowest when
> I use gnome-terminal. Simply redrawing mc interface takes about 2
> seconds or even more if there is some CPU load. I didn't check other
> terminal emulators. Running 6.8.2 with same xorg.conf wields no such
> problem.

  FYI, I've been seeing this on x86 too (Radeon 9000s), and it's been VERY
painful.  Two seconds to switch virtual desktops, even to an empty one with
just Nautilus in the background.  Also lots of Gnome-terminals and it does
seem to get progressivly slower.  I'm gonna see if I can reproduce it on a
via video system.

  - Nick Lopez
    spamtrap@glowingmonkey.org

  -- Randomly selected signature --
"Software is like sex: It's better when it's free."
					 -- Linus Torvalds