Re: Fw: Re: Re: Re: Re: 43p-150 booting Debian on chrp

On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 03:52:19AM +0900, �������� wrote:
> Hi,
> .
> I got the information as the following for booting Debian install on IBM 7043-B50.
> But I am not sure if it is for B50, chrp and how to deal with it.
> Someone told me to ask you because he also got this information from you.
> Could you please give me some tips for booting problem ?

Sorry, for having taken time to reply you eralier, i was travalling around and
had no real time to reply those meails.

I don't think this is what you need. This is i believe a CHRP box (the
7043-140 is a PReP box), and so either the CD (etch beta1, nto sarge) should
be able to boot into it, and run yaboot. If this doesn't work, please file an
accordying bug report as shown on :

  http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/ch05s03.html#submit-bug

The other way is to netboot, and use the vmlinuz-chrp.initrd file, but it on
your tftp server on antoher box, and program the bootp/dhcp server correctly
to pass it, and then just boot net (or alternatively, use rarp as follow :

  boot enet:<server-ip>,vmlinuz-chrp.initrd,<local-ip>

This is the recomended way of booting.

> [1]
> http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/images/daily/powerpc/floppy/boot.img
>
> After making a floppy with "dd if=boot.img of=/dev/fd0 bs=1024 conv=sync;sync",
> I tried booting with "ok> boot floppy;.\linux.bin root=/dev/fd0 console=ttyS0",
> but it shows me "ok>"
> Did I use the right command ?
>
> [2]
> http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/images/daily/powerpc/floppy/net-drivers.img
>
> I don't know what I have to do with this image.
>
> [3]
> http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/images/daily/powerpc/floppy/cd-drivers.img

nope, the floppies are only there for the oldworld powermacs, ignore them.

> [4] http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/images/daily/powerpc/netboot/
>
> I don't know what I have to do with this image.
> Because there are lots of images.

Yes, the vmlinuz-chrp.initrd is the one you want, but it on a tftp server as
mentioned above (or eventually on a cdrom even, should work), and boot it as
above, or if you put it on a cdrom as :

  boot cdrom:,\vmlinuz-chrp.initrd

> I tried booting with mini.iso image of CD-ROM, but it didn't work.
> It also shows me "ok>" on OF.

Look if there is a vmlinuz-chrp.initrd on it, there should be one, which you
can use, but as said, the kernel could be hosed.

BTW, i will be at Solutions Linux in Paris the next 4 days, so i will probably
not have access to the internet there.

Friendly,

Sven Luther