ybin -v not working after OS X upgrade

Hi,

I've read the archives when others have upgraded their OS X partitions and had their boot process munged in some way. Their described solutions aren't working for me.

I have been dual booting Debian and 10.3.7 for a long time b/c I knew the upgrade would somehow destroy my Debian. Well, I upgraded to 10.3.9 today and sure enough, here's the error I can't escape when I boot Debian:

VFS: Cannot open root device "hda5" or unknown-block (0,0)
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

I was pleased that the menu (press L for Linux and X for OS X) still comes up. Unfortunately the usual fixes don't change anything about that error above. Here's what I've tried:

I put in a Debian businesscard PPC CD and held down C. I go through the installer through the partition step and go ahead and let it format the swap partition.

Then I press ALT-FN-F2 and go to the console.

The disk is not recognized at /dev/hda5 so I can't just do:

# mkdir /mnt
# mount /dev/hda5 /mnt

instead my disc is only at /dev/discs/host0/[someotherstuff]/lun0/part5
so I mount that big string at /mnt instead.

(This is a post-Feb 2005 Powerbook so I think it has a drive not easily recognized by the Debian installer or something.) Then I

# mount -t proc proc /mnt/proc
# chroot /mnt
# /usr/sbin/ybin -v

Everything appears to work fine as the /dev/hda3 bootstrap partition is blessed by the Holy Penguin...

but then on reboot I get the exact same error (see above).

Any ideas?

Brian