Re: G5 fan revving problems.

On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 16:09 +0100, Brian Durant wrote:
> Hi, I am new to the list. I joined manly because I was looking for a
> list that would have a PPC centric bent so that I could discuss
> problems I run into.  I have a 1.8 GHz PowerPC G5, running OS X Tiger
> (10.4.4), so my first concern is about the fan revving problem.

I have no idea what "the fan revving problem" is ... Can you be more
specific ?

> have tried the Ubuntu Dapper flight 3 PPC live-CD as a starting point
> to see if I could get a Debian based Linux installed on an extra
> internal hard disk /(SATA). For some reason, Ubuntu thought that the
> problem was solved with their latest kernel, but my experience is
> that just after a couple of minutes off use, the fans start revving
> like a jet engine. My question is whether there is a solution to this
> or if this means that all Debian based (or even RPM based distros)
> will still have the same problem?

Oh, ok.. you mean the fans going full speed ? That's a matter of thermal
control not working on the machine. It's the single CPU G5 names
PowerMac9,1 in /proc/device-tree/model right ?

It should indeed work with recent kernels. I got some code in 2.6.15 but
there might still have been unresolved issues. Make sure you load the
windfarm_pm91 module and let us know... If it doesn't work, try an up to
date git snapshot. If still doesn't work, let me know and we'll track
the problem down.

Ben.