G5 fan revving problems.

Hi, I am new to the list. I joined manly because I was looking for a list that would have a PPC centric bent so that I could discuss problems I run into. I have a 1.8 GHz PowerPC G5, running OS X Tiger (10.4.4), so my first concern is about the fan revving problem. I have tried the Ubuntu Dapper flight 3 PPC live-CD as a starting point to see if I could get a Debian based Linux installed on an extra internal hard disk /(SATA). For some reason, Ubuntu thought that the problem was solved with their latest kernel, but my experience is that just after a couple of minutes off use, the fans start revving like a jet engine. My question is whether there is a solution to this or if this means that all Debian based (or even RPM based distros) will still have the same problem?

Cheers,

Brian