Re: Trouble getting bcm43xx driver to work

At Tue, 10 Jan 2006 21:51:36 +1100, Aaron wrote:

> Still no joy. With the last two days snapshots I get a new error using
> iwconfig:
> aaron@sin:~$ iwconfig
> lo        no wireless extensions.
>
> eth3      IEEE 802.11b/g  ESSID:"EucalyptusMarginata"  Nickname:"Broadcom
> 4318"
> iwconfig: symbol lookup error: iwconfig: undefined symbol: iw_sawap_ntop
> aaron@sin:~$

I tested both the devicescape branch and the softmac branch, both with
WEP, two days ago. I didn't get any errors like this though.

> [...]
> # Check routing for local wireless network traffic is there
> root@sin:~# netstat -r
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt Iface
> 192.168.73.0    *               255.255.255.0   U         0 0          0 eth3

I did not get "dhcp" to work either.  I could see on my AP that it
receives the dhcp request and it seems to hand out an IP address for
60 seconds. I assume it then waits for a confirmation from my iBook
before handing out a 'real' lease. But it doesn't seem to get that
confirmation.

I do get it working with a fixed IP address, like what you tried.  I
did add the default route to the gateway, though.  And more
importantly, I always have to wait some time before it works.  Right
after configuring the interface and adding the route, all connections
will fail. But after trying new connections for 2-3 minutes (trying to
load some websites and pinging), it suddenly works.  From then on the
connection works just fine.  I also noticed that right after adding
the default route, the command "route" will print out the route for
local connections and then pause a while before printing out the
default route.  I have no idea why this is or what I can do about it,
but at least I have a wireless connection now.

> # I think it may be time to but a USB wireless device until bcm43xx
> # is easier!

There's definitely still some hassle with the bcm43xx driver... but
for me it's good enough for now.

Ruben