Re: Newbie's questions regarding ppc linux

On Sat, Jan 07, 2006 at 03:53:20PM +0000, Leo wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I just bought Macmini. And I plan to install Debian Linux on that. I
> have some questions:
>
> 1. Do all debian i386 packages have ports on PPC as well?
>
> I use linux pc and I understand there are so many packages on debian
> any release version, which is very good I can find anything I want. I
> just want to know do they all exist in Powerpc as well?

It should, except the packages that are too buggy to run on anything except
x86, or which are non-free, x86-only binary-only stuff, but these are not in
debian main. There are another set of packages which make no sense on powerpc
and are thus disabled (like bin86 for example, or grub/lilo).

> 2. Is "sources.list" as same as the one in x86 version? I mean does
> source.list contains same source information in terms of http or ftp
> source?

Identic, provided your mirror is a full mirror naturally.

Friendly,

Sven Luther