Re: 2.6.14 on iMac G5

Has anybody succesfully booted that kernel?  I get lots of "format errors" while trying to load modules.  And then, at the end it just blocks, it says something like "waiting for /dev/sda to come up" and that's it.

Have you built a 64 bits kernel ?

I used apt-get form unstable, yes the powerpc-64 flavour. That is the one that gives me the "format errors".

Then I built it and it boots alright, but after a couple of minutes it hangs. If I let it there long enough (console, without using X) I get a timeout error on /dev/sda. Nothing works afterwards, not even a ping from another machine.

Same thing with the -rc5 Sven posted.

Also, you'll probably want all my patches for adding thermal control to
the iMac G5. They'll be in 2.6.15, in the meantime, they have been
posted on the list.

I patched the kernel and tried it. Same problem as the non-patched kernel. It just hangs and I don't know how to get more information on why it hangs.

By the way, I lose the date and time every other boot with those new kernels. There is an "invalid date" error and then it gets set to 1/1/2001 :(. Sometimes it doesn't even boot at all, I have to turn it off, unplug it (I don't know if that necessary, but it works) and then turn it on again.

Any ideas on something I could try? How can I debug the kernel to see what the problem is? It just hangs, there is nothing in the logs.

Eduardo.