Re: Terminal problems

On Sat, Nov 05, 2005 at 07:27:47PM -0800, Mike S wrote:
> Hello Everyone, I am back.  After trying a few different distributions
> of linux, and using gentoo for a while, I have found that I was missing
> debian.  Right now I am having actually a few things that are puzzling
> me.  I am running Debian unstable (Sid) but attempting to build most of
> it with apt-get source and such.
>
> [ ... ]
>
> I did dist-upgrade from stable,

from stable to unstable? If yes:

"Debian does not support upgrades that skip intermediate releases"
<http://www.us.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-woody.en.html>

I don't know whether the information above is dated now, but clearly
I'd go from stable to testing to unstable ...

As to unstable: Unstable is *highly* unstable currently, IINM: So if I
had to install Debian newly at this very moment I'd definitely install
stable and then trying, at some point in the future, to move the
system carefully to unstable:

Excerpt from
<http://www.debian.org/releases/unstable/>:
""sid" is subject to massive changes and in-place library
updates. This can result in a very "unstable" system which contains
packages that cannot be installed due to missing libraries,
dependencies that cannot be fulfilled etc. Use it at your own risk!"

So for me it seems you're trying to reach the nearly impossible:
Building a working sid when sid is, errh, slightly down. To put it
mildly ... :)

At any rate: Good luck!

Best regards
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Pfeiffer
http://profiles.yahoo.com/wolfgangpfeiffer

Key ID: E3037113
Key fingerprint = A8CA 9D8C 54C4 4CC1 0B26  AA3C 9108 FB42 E303 7113