Re: mol modules for kernel 2.6.14

On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 11:30:22AM +0100, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> > > And before you ask: setting up collaborative maintainership for a package
> > > is something I'd do with people I've worked with successfully before.
> > > Otherwise, I'd prefer to take the blame alone.
> >
> > bah. i guess with such thinking you rarely go into collaborative work :)
>
> I rarely go into 'mob management' of stuff. For big packages,
> collaborative work may well pay off. For small ones, it's more overhead
> than would be worth it. For packages few people seem to care about, you'll
> always have the added benefit of no one _really_ feeling responsible
> because we have a team in place for that. No offense meant, but that's
> what I see at work here.

I disagree, like said, i have an interest in getting the mol modules built for
each debian kernel release, but none of getting any kind of patches in for
some random non-free OS support or whatever.

So, users interested in doing the work for those patches can participate in
what interests them directly, and i can make sure the packages are built in
timely fashion to not block the kernel-to-testing migration, everyone
benefits.

> > Anyway, debian's future is one of team-maintained packages, and more and more
> > such teams spring forward and are a big progress and handle the packages in a
> > much better way than single maintainership does.
>
> Really? I thought the future of Debian was in packages maintained by the
> QA team... maybe that's the same ...

Well, look at the debian kernel team, whose packages where never so well
maintained as when herbert was the sole maintainer, or at the ocaml packages,
which have been team maintained since a couple of years now, not to speak
about d-i or others. I don't see QA involved in those. On the contrary, look
at packages whose maintainer has a strong ownership prejudice, and see that it
is much more problematic to work with said maintainer, and if he goes MIA,
QA is the only solution.

But the future will tell.

Friendly,

Sven Luther