Re: mol modules for kernel 2.6.14

On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 10:14:44AM +0100, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> > > I filed a bugreport to fix it. It is the job of the maintainer to
> > > implement it;)
> >
> > Yeah, ok, a quick reality check here. The mol maintainer died tragically in
> > july, leaving the package all but abandoned, i did jump in because nobody else
> > did and because mol was blocking the 2.6.12 kernel transition, and because i
> > used to work with Jens on the 2.6 powerpc kernel packages. I don't use mol and
> > am not interested in being the sole maintainer of it, except to make it build
> > with newer kernel packages, and did write so when i announced the mol 2.6.12
> > packages here, so read the mailing list archive.
> >
> > The alternative being naturally to kick mol from the archive, or at least the
> > mol-modules, so they don't interfer with the kernel packages, as mol seems
> > abandoned upstream and there is no real interest in doing real maintainership
> > of them for debian, altough Otavio proposed himself.
>
> As did I, on the condition that no one else wanted the job. When you took
> over mol, I understood that you would take care of the package in whatever

Mmm, i guess i was not clear enough in that mail i sent, or you didn't read
it or whatever.

> way you see fit. Frankly, I'm a bit puzzled about this reality check
> business now.

Well, i was just (over ?)reacting to elimar's claim that it is my
responsability to apply patches and stuff, while he could just join the alioth
project and do the change himself.

> And before you ask: setting up collaborative maintainership for a package
> is something I'd do with people I've worked with successfully before.
> Otherwise, I'd prefer to take the blame alone.

bah. i guess with such thinking you rarely go into collaborative work :)

Anyway, debian's future is one of team-maintained packages, and more and more
such teams spring forward and are a big progress and handle the packages in a
much better way than single maintainership does.

Friendly,

Sven Luther