Re: iMac G5 and fan control

On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 11:44 -0300, Eduardo Trápani wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there any news about the fan control in the iMac G5?  It's on all the time by default and it's a bit noisy for a desktop :(.
>
> Eduardo.
>
> PD: I read the other messages on the subject, I just wondered whether there was anything new to test.

It has been fully implemented.

First, you need the latest 2.6.14-rc5. Then, you can apply the patch
that adds cpufreq support for the iMac G5 and the SMU based single CPU
desktop.

http://gate.crashing.org/~benh/ppc64-fx-freq-scaling.diff

Then apply those 2 patches in that order:

http://gate.crashing.org/~benh/ppc64-smu-partitions.diff
http://gate.crashing.org/~benh/ppc64-smu-thermal-control.diff

That's it. Now enable:

  CONFIG_WINDFARM_SMU

and

  CONFIG_I2C_PMAC_SMU

If you are using modules, you may have to manually load the whole bunch,
especially the i2c SMU one which isn't requested (yet).

Ben.