Re: Request for help to identify some bugs (part two)

On Sat, 2005-10-22 at 13:53 +0200, Yannick Roehlly wrote:

> What's the "appropriate" setting?
>
> "hdparm -I /dev/hdc" tells me that the cdrom can cope with up to udma2:

Yes, but the bus it's connected to may not, also some CD-ROM drives do
lie about their capabilities.

> /dev/hdc:
>
>   ATAPI CD-ROM, with removable media
>         Model Number:       MATSHITACD-RW  CW-8123
>         Serial Number:
>         Firmware Revision:  CA10
>   Standards:
>         Likely used CD-ROM ATAPI-1
>   Configuration:
>         DRQ response: 50us.
>         Packet size: 12 bytes
>   Capabilities:
>         LBA, IORDY(can be disabled)
>         DMA: sdma0 sdma1 sdma2 mdma0 mdma1 *mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2
>              Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
>         PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
>              Cycle time: no flow control=120ns  IORDY flow control=120ns
>
> In fact, setting it to udma2 makes it no longer work, does the kernel is
> "aware" of this limitation and sets mdma2 as a consequence?

How do you set it to u/dma2 and remind me the exact machine model

> > Now the problem is to diagnose kded eating CPU when you have the proper
> > setting. When that happens, do you see anything in dmesg ? (like IDE
> > errors etc...)
>
> When inserting the cd, /var/log/message is flooded by:
>
>         hdc: tray open
>         end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 5568072
>         hdc: tray open
>         end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 5568076
>         hdc: tray open
>         end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 5568072
>         hdc: tray open...
>
> I'm not sure that this problem is related to hardware configuration since it
> only happen with KDE "media discovery" (when turning off the "gestionnaire
> de media kded", the cd insertion does not produce the kded madness but the
> cdrom is not accessible via media:/) and not with de Gnome one.

Hrm... This is a slot loading CD ? I don't know what KDE is trying to do
there. Do you actually have a media in hte drive when that happen ?

Ben.