Re: What to buy for linux : iBook G4 12" or PowerBook G4 12" ?

On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 17:25 +0200, Cédric Boutillier wrote:
> Hi,
> I need  a light and small notebook with  a high battery life.I run already Debian on my PC desktop. I am very interested in tryingpowerpc achitecture, and I am hesitating between an iBook 12" and aPowerBook 12".
> Could you tell me please which of these two models is best supportedby Linux ? I don't need a priori any graphics acceleration. I am moreinterested in the power saving regimes and stuff like that. Any advice?
> Thanks
> Please, Cc me in your answers. I haven't subscribed (yet) to the list.
> Cedric

The main issue is the video chip. If it's an ATI, it will either work
out of the box or real soon if it's a new chip not yet supported. If
it's an nvidia, there is a lot less luck with things like sleep
(suspend-to-RAM) for which we have no working implementation at least
yet.

So I'd go for the iBook or the 15" (or 17") powerbooks, though if your
goal is light & small, then iBook is probably the best choice at this
point.

Note: If you can wait a week or two, everybody is sort-of expecting
Apple to release updated machines (and thus maybe laptops, we don't
know) in the upcoming few days.

Ben.