Re: How to get rid of sungem at boot time?

> I've done tests this afternoon, and what I found is that the devices
> change that the system "sees" from one reboot to another. Specifically
> it is this device on a Titanium IV that the system knows about in one
> instance, that it does not know about any more at another reboot:
>
> # ifconfig -a
> eth0      Link encap:UNSPEC  HWaddr 00-03-93-FF-FE-CD-E4-C4-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
>           BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
>           RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
>
> $ macchanger -s eth0
> Current MAC: 00:03:93:ff:fe:cd (Apple Computer, Inc.)
>
> What is 00:03:93:ff:fe:cd : The modem?

I think this is the Ethernet-over-firewire (which indeed for some
strange reason doesn't always register itself).

> If the eth0 device above is missing at another system boot the whole
> devices order is shifting, and changed, and as a consequence
> previous eth2 (radio card) simply does not exist any more, thus
> rendering my settings in the /etc/network/interfaces useless ... :)

The solution would be to able to specify interfaces by MAC or position
in sysfs rather than ethX name in /etc/network/interfaces... Volunteer
to fix those scripts ?