Re: Orinoco/hermes (original Airport) WPA support status

On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 09:16:10PM +0200, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 11:15:23 +0000, Julien BLACHE wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > What's the status of WPA support in the orinoco driver ? Back in July,
> > it wasn't supported, IIRC. Has anything happened since then ? Any
> > plans ?
>
> I would also like to know the answer ... All I realize is that since
> 2.6.13 the orinoco driver no longer works with waproamd (it was when used
> with some cvs snapshot of may this year).

No WPA with Orinoco - only WEP - IINM. Please check the archives for more:
<http://groups.google.com/group/linux.debian.ports.powerpc?hl=en>

Also a look to your kern.log output when loading airport/orinoco
etc. drivers might suggest what's going on:

 Firmware determined as Lucent/Agere 8.70
 Ad-hoc demo mode supported
 IEEE standard IBSS ad-hoc mode supported
 WEP supported, 104-bit key

See the last line?

As to 2.6.13:

from
<http://www.kismetwireless.net/Forum/General/Messages/1128186950.6834829>

-------------------
> And what about patches for 2.6.13 in-kernel Orinoco drivers?

What about them? I don't run .13 because it has too many issues for my
taste. Either don't run 0.13, or someone can port the patches and send
them to me. 2.6.13 has totally different in-kernel drivers than
previous versions, it's a variant of 0.15 which has a lot of flaws and
issues.

I still run 2.6.12. And Orinoco works without "waproamd" here, I didn't
even know the tool until you mentioned it ... :)

HTH
Best Regards

Wolfgang
--