Re: Installing Debian on an iMac G5 - stable and testing d-i fail

On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 06:54:29PM -0300, Eduardo Trápani wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm migrating Debian on an iMac G4 to a new G5 (Apple PowerMac8,2 5.2.5f1
> BootRom).
>
> I downloaded debian-testing-powerpc-businesscard.iso (not too much bandwith
> to use) today from
> http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/daily/powerpc/current/.
>
> When I run install-power4 I get the following messages:

> mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
> Oops: kernel access of bad area sig: 11 [#1]
> Kernel panic: attempted to kill init!
> <0> Rebooting in 180 seconds ..
>
> I got the very same message from the stable installer.  After a couple of
> hours of googling and searching in this mailing list I really don't know
> what to try next.  Any ideas?

Can you try booting the daily builds ? These are at :

  http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/images/daily/powerpc64/netboot64/

or :

  http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/images/daily/powerpc64/cdrom64/

Get the initrd.gz and vmlinux on a cd or tftp boot server, write the adequate
yaboot.conf, and try them out.

No idea what the cdimage-testing daily carry, but as nobody fixed them for the
2.6.12 kernels, i bet they are broken.

Furthermore, make sure to use the new powerpc64 64bit flavoured kernels, and
not the 32bit you have been using above.

Also, i belive kernel-installer is currently broken, so you really want to
go to console 2, chroot to /target, install linux-image-2.6.12-1-powerpc64,
and relaunch ybin, after having hand-updated the yaboot.conf or relaunched
yaboot-installer.

Hope this help, and keep us informed of your success or lake thereof.

Friendly,

Sven Luther