External Monitor from PowerBook5,6

On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 09:11:40AM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 17:07 +0200, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > I am having a post Februaray Powerbook5,6 here with German keyboard
> >
> > Someone told me that xorg releases could do external SVGA mirroring
> > for the previous powerbook models 15" with ati. Did somebody test this
> > with the new February Powerbook 15" model?
>
> It should work

Trying 6.8.2 I have problems.
(there are nice instructions to compile it on
http://blogs.vislab.usyd.edu.au/index.php/Steve/2004/09/09/installing_a_non_intrusive_x
)

It seems that most options of Mirroring and the CRT2 in the radeon drivers
need to use MergeFB. However so far I can only see something if I
specify Option "UseFBDev" "true" and thus MergeFB gets disabled.
When MergeFB is in place, even without error messages I have a black
laptop screen (with one horizontal dark line in the lower part).
Whether I have a second screen attached or not makes no difference.

Trying multihead with two Screens after the example from
http://www.johnleach.co.uk/documents/powerpc/XF86Config-4.dualhead
also was not successful. I tried with VGA Flatpanel what has 1280x1024
dimensions. This was also unsuccessful.
When enabling UseFBDev for the second screen then I could see something
on it: Moving the mouse. Still it was not working in a way that it
could be used at all.

What should I try to come closer to a useful Mirror mode?
Can somebody confirm that UseFBDev is required for the laptop panel?