Probs with Sarge

Hi there,

I'm currently running Debian Linux Sarge on an old beige Powermac G3,
266Mhz. Up till now I have run the machine without X without problems,
but due to problems with my Wintel laptop and encrouching college
deadlines I have decided to try to install X windows in order to use
openoffice or abiword. So far I have been successful, and despite the
slightly anoxreic specs of the machine GNOME and XFCE seem to run
reasonably well.

However, X seems to suffer from occasional problems in rendering the
screen. Every now and again, X will render a bitmap or a window with a
whole bunch of noise in it. You can "clear" the noise away by running
a window slowly over the affected area, but it usually returns.

Is this a common problem? I am on a tight budget so if there is a
software solution to this, other than not using X, then I would much
appreciate it. If there is not and it is a specification issue, then
what requires upgrading: VRAM (or the graphics card) or the RAM? I
don't wish to spend money only to find it makes little noticeable
improvement - as Linux now gets more use here than the archaic OS 9.

Kernel: 2.6.8
Memory: 92.1MB
Video: 2Meg, ATI Rage Pro. I do not use the framebuffer.
Monitor: M1212 Color display
Boot system: BootX on MacOS9 startup.

--
http://www.livejournal.com/users/snooo