Debian 2.6.11 Kernel

Well I compiled the Debian 2.6.11 kerrnel tonight, and I think that I must have done something wrong, because I can't even boot with it. It stops at trying to mount root fs, this is previously an error I only got when I booted an initrrd kernel without an initrd, or a regular kernel with an initrd image, so I am stuck, but for now my pillow is screaming at me, and I will poke at it some more in the morning, but, (I didn't expect it to) it wouldn't load the aty128 framebuffer correctly for me, screen still blanks when it tries to take control.
--Mike