Re: sleep works in 2.6.12-rc2 (was Re: applying patch)

According to Tamas K Papp, on Fri, 8 Apr 2005 23:24:22 -0400,
>On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 11:05:36PM -0400, Tamas K Papp wrote:
>
>> Thanks for your help.  I compiled a 2.6.12-rc2 kernel and I am happy
>> to share that sleep now works on my powerbook5,4: the machine sleeps
>> perfectly, wakes up perfectly, and usb devices are powered up every
>> time.  I will test it more tomorrow, but it seems very sound.
>
>OK, that was a bit premature ;-) I already found a glitch: if I
>generate an USB event (eg click the buttons on the mouse) while the
>machine is sleeping, it will try to wake up but the screen remains
>blank.  If somebody on this list is on the kernel list too, and they
>don't know already about this, please forward this (but I expect that
>they would).

Just a side comment on that.

For me this means that all the usb devices are still powered when the machine is asleep.
They can indeed consume a lot of energy and greatly reduce battery life.

I think I'll continue to unload/reload all the module, except if there is an option
telling the modules to switch the USB system off completely when going to sleep.

Cedric