[G5] Mirrored characters on the console [was Re: Problem compiling SMU driver]

Xavier, Ben,

a big thank you to you both. I was able to cross-compile a 64 bit
kernel, and to launch debian-installer with it (I made a fat kernel with
no module so I could reuse the initrd I had from debian-installer).

I now have a base debian system on my G5! <emotional sob of joy>

There are (of course) a few glitches, the weirdest one being that
characters glyphs are displayed in a mirrored way on the console. For an
E for instance, I get an

XXX
 XX
XXX

I looks like a mix between Cyrillic and some Middle Earth alphabet.

The problem is probably not much to solve, since characters are
displayed properly in the first few seconds of the boot *until* the Tux
logo kicks in (the logo is then fine, but the characters are swapped).
Strangely enough too, the first pass of the Debian installer (the one
installing the base system, before the first reboot) managed to display
characters properly (I'm using the kernel I've compiled -- 2.6.12-r2 --
since the one d-i picks by default -- 2.6.8-power4 I think -- hangs
after the disk mount).

Has anybody any idea of which option I could turn off in my kernel
config?

Thanks for the help!

Francois