Re: 2.6.12-rc2 "fixes" 8500 floppy and sound ...

> Some good news to report back.  Yesterday when testing if 2.6.12-rc2
> helped with video, I used an older .config in which the swim3 driver
> and dmasound_pmac were compiled in.  The kernel compiled, and both
> of these components now work!  There were still warnings when both of
> these components were being compiled.  I believe the messages for the
> swim3 driver were about the previously troublesome interrupt handling
> routines "being deprecated", but the module still compiled and worked
> - and the code for the module itself is unchanged from 2.6.11, where
> it did _NOT_ compile.  I missed the messages about the errors around
> dmasound_pmac, but I'll take a closer look tonight and this weekend
> when recompiling to add aty128 to my kernel.  Is there a way to track
> the output of the kernel compilation process, other than redirection
> using the ">" or ">&" constructs ?
>
> Anything folks want me to look out for, or check ?  I'd been stuck in
> trying to figure out what to do about the non-working swim3.  I had
> put in a lot of debugging code into the routines there to track the
> event loops, but had a hard time making sense of it and seeing where
> the problem was ....  Hopefully, this will help.

First off - Thanks to Charles for how to direct standard output to
multiple places.  Worked like a charm.

But I need to revise what I initially posted above.  I had applied the
2.6.12-rc2 patch to the 2.6.11.6 sources, which was wrong, but still
produced the results above.

Tonight - I went back and applied the patch to the 2.6.11 tree, and it
(of course) patched without a hitch.  However, now, the swim3 driver
no longer worked.  So I manually changed out the references to the old
interrupt handling routines to the newer uni-processor ones, and things
seem to work fine again.  Sound still works with this patching.

cheers
vinai