powerbook G4 : xkb problem with '#'

Hi all,

Many thanks to the people who have helped me with my earlier problems installing debian, even though most of them were not debian-specific. Unfortunately I have yet another one...

Since earlier today I don't have access to the '#' character under X (before I could type Command-3 as under OSX). I worked until this morning, even though my keyboard settings in XF86Config-4 were wrong (macintosh/uk when there is no uk layout). This morning I pulled lots of x fonts, maybe something else got installled... As it stopped working I fixed this to macintosh/gb. It solved some problems (notably the §/± key and the `/~ key) but not the '#' problem. I have scoured the internet for hints but no luck :( (I tried a xkb patch by Jochen Voss, it gave me back the '#' but messed up the rest of the keboard !).

In console mode Command-3 gives me a '#' all right. I need some help with this, I don't have any more ideas and I have lots of C to write...

--
Arnaud