Re: Debian on a Dual G5?

    "Charles" == Charles Read <debianlist@charlesread.com> writes:

    Charles> Hey crew!  Thinking about installing Sarge on a Dual 2Ghz
    Charles> PowerMac G5, is that possible via the ppc release?

If you have an older machine (a PowerMac7,2 with the 970 G5 processor)
it should work with no problems or so I'm told. If you look at the
"About This Mac" information in OS X and your CPU version is 2.2. this
is what you have (I think, I don't own this type of machine).

If you have a newer machine (a PowerMac7,3 with the 970FX G5
processor) it should work with tomorrow's (or perhaps Jan 15) debian
installer daily build. Support was added in December

http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2004/12/msg00806.html

This kind of machine reports its CPU Type in "About This Mac" as a
PowerPC G5 (3.0).

If you just can't wait you can use a recent daily build (Jan 2005) if
you are prepared to hack things a tiny bit as suggested here:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2005/01/msg00159.html

Cheers!
Shyamal