Re: xorg.conf (WAS: sudden power loss)

According to Tommy Trussell, on Thu, 1 Dec 2005 22:18:55
-0600,
>On 12/1/05, Tommy Trussell <tommy.trussell@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > commands.
>> >
>> > have you set your keyboard type to 'macintosh' in xorg.conf? changing it
>> > 'pc105' or 'pc104' might solve this. keyboard setup on the pbooks has
>> > quite
>> > some atrocities to offer to the unsuspecting. ;-)
>> >

>> Under the first version of xorg that shipped with Ubuntu Hoary, I didn't
>> have any trouble with the default settings. Under Breezy I have not yet
>> found a keyboard configuration that allows ctr-alt-Fn terminal switching.
>> Based on the resounding lack of response to the bug report I filed, I
>> suspect it only bites some folks who upgraded. It did not affect the Intel
>> box I upgraded.
>>
>> I will try pc105 and pc104... thank you for the suggestion!
>>

>I tried both and they have the same effect as before -- no change....
>

>Here's that section from my xorg.conf
>
>Section "InputDevice"
>    Identifier    "Generic Keyboard"
>    Driver        "kbd"
>    Option        "CoreKeyboard"
>    Option        "XkbRules"    "xorg"
>    Option        "XkbModel"    "pc105"
>#    Option        "XkbLayout"    "us"
>#    Option        "XkbVariant"    "apple"
>#    Option        "XkbOptions"    "laptop"
>EndSection
>
>you can see where I've commented out the XkbLayout, XkbVariant and
>XkbOptions parameters... I've tried pc102, pc104, pc105 and macintosh in the
>XkbModel parameter, and I've tried specifying all the other options as would
>seem appropriate for a PowerBook. They all seem to work the same -- and the
>ctrl-option-Fn and one other keystroke (obscure -- can't recall at the
>moment) aren't being passed through.
>
>I am very much NOT an expert here so any guidance would be appreciated. I
>tried the various options mainly by studying carefully what gets touched
>when running dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg.
>
>Through the Ubuntu forums I have found someone else with the same issue, but
>he's running an AMD processor. Whatever the bug is it's not affecting most
>folks.... (or it's possible there are quite a few newbies who haven't even
>tried to use virtual consoles).

I've added the following line in my .xmodmap:

keycode 67 = F1 F1 XF86_Switch_VT_1 XF86_Switch_VT_1

It basically means that alt+fN+F1 makes a VT_Switch (67 is
the keycode for F1 key according to xev on my ibook), with
shift or not.
This is also relying on the fact that alt makes a mode
switch which hopefully is the default behavior.

--
Cedric